Paw Print

From a Bishop to a Monarch

Back to Article
Back to Article

From a Bishop to a Monarch

Mackenzie Gillis, Staff Writer

Last week, the students, faculty, and families of Bishop Donahue High School were informed that their school will be closed at the end of this school year. The news came from The Roman Catholic Diocese of Wheeling-Charleston Thursday afternoon.

As a former Bishop, I know that this has to be hard for most people involved. Bishop Donahue was definitely a place that made everyone feel at home. Each morning, when I walked through those doors I felt at ease, like I really belonged there. The students and teachers really become a second family. That feeling of family and belonging is how I see Bishop Donahue and I always will. I think even those who didn’t attend the school can see that sense of family and understand why so many are so upset at the devastating news of the school’s closing.

For me, I chose to transfer to John Marshall High School at the beginning of this year – which is my junior year. It was hard to leave my new BDHS family, I wanted to go to high school with friends from elementary school. Transitioning from Bishop to JM was a very big change for me for a few reasons. The huge size difference of the two, the amount of students, different classes offered and new choices to make were just some of the differences I’ve encountered. It didn’t take long, but I was welcomed into the Monarch family with open arms. It was easy to see I made the right decision for myself.

The students who are currently attending Bishop Donahue High School have quite the decision to make. Where to “go to school” is just the beginning. That choice will lead to where they will make new friends, the types of classes they will be able to take, what sports they can participate in, and where they will graduate.  John Marshall is a great option, and I know that any one that chooses to come here will be welcomed into the Monarch family just like I was.

About the Writer
Mackenzie Gillis, Staff Writer

Mackenzie is a junior at JMHS.