Paw Print

Pride Yearbook Earns First Class Ranking from National Scholastic Press Association

Back to Article
Back to Article

Miss Bramer, Adviser

Glen Dale, WV – January 19th – The John Marshall High School Pride Yearbook program recently received a First Class ranking from the National Scholastic Press Association (NSPA). The staff submitted the 48th edition, titled “A Little Something,” during the fall of 2016 to the NSPA for a super-critique. The staff wanted the feedback in order to grow the program and continue on the quest to produce a high quality yearbook.

“I couldn’t be more proud of my yearbook students. Each staffer throughout my six years as adviser has helped to create a program that is focused on being better each year. The students now have outside validation that they are doing great work right here at JM.” Adviser Jessica Bramer said.

NSPA offers critique services for newspapers, yearbooks, newsmagazines, literary magazines, feature magazines, and websites. As a level-two NSPA member, JMHS mailed a copy of the yearbook in order for it to be judged in five key categories: essentials, coverage, writing & editing, design, and photography. There are three levels of award ratings; the highest possible is an All-American rating, then a First Class rating, and finally a Second Class rating. While every publication submitted is carefully judged, not every entry receives an award rating. The judges are qualified professional journalists, as well as past and present advisers of award winning programs. Judges work with advisers and journalists to base critiques on current, nation-wide best practices in the field.

“While this is my first year on the yearbook staff, the fact that last year’s staff worked so hard and earned this award only makes me want to work harder so that my book will be even better,” Junior Ashton Kudlak said.

Some comments on strengths of the book from the critique include:

• Title, opening, division, and closing pages helped to anchor this Pride edition
  • [The] staff did an excellent job of printing all essentials on the spine.
  • It was a top-notch approach to cover examples of how the current year differed from previous years.
  • It was an optimum idea to publish sports photos that display aspects of the season aside from games and matches, such as team huddles and traditions.
  • [The staff] did a marvelous job of achieving fair coverage of all organizations.
  • Journalists did an exemplary job of interviewing individuals.
  • Sidebars enabled your students’ voices to be heard.
  • Staff members did a commendable job of incorporating candid photos on the index spreads.
  • [The staff] did an outstanding job of publishing photos of a variety of individuals rather than of a select few.
  • Both special and daily events were represented in the various photos.

“As a veteran staffer, this award is even better because we were such small staff last year. I’ve been a member of a yearbook staff that had twenty-five other students, but last year there were only eleven of us. We worked really hard, and this critique made all of the extra effort worth it,” Junior Lauren Garcia said. Garcia is a three-year member of the yearbook program

The critique also includes suggestions on how to further improve the book. The 2016-2017 staff has already been working to incorporate those suggestions to achieve a higher rank this year.

For more information about the NSPA, visit studentpress.org

For more information about the yearbook program at John Marshall, contact
Jessica N. Bramer, CJE
John Marshall High School
jbramer@k12.wv.us
304/843-4444

About the Writer
Miss Bramer, Publications Adviser

Jessica N. Bramer, CJE teaches speech & journalism classes at John Marshall High School in Glen Dale, West Virginia.  She has advised the Pride yearbook...