Paw Print

Life Lessons

Back to Article
Back to Article

Life Lessons

Madi Lancaster, Student Staffer

This year has had its difficulties. I learned so much about life and myself. I have had my fair share of tough times in my freshman year alone. Life can be challenging for anyone, some lives harder than others can. People perceive achievements and pain very differently, because of many reasons such as how they were raised, how they are treated, and everything they go through. Learning how to love myself after so much happened in my life was very difficult, and still is. Loving yourself is absolutely the most important thing to achieve.

During school, I learned many things from my teachers, classmates, and friends. I have never been a very organized person, and that had not changed until this year. Organization is necessary for a prosperous school career. Putting your papers in files, labeling things, and writing in your planner is helpful to do in school. I learned to not give up. The main point of freshman year is to get situated with the high school environment. High school is very stressful, but I had to be diligent in getting through my first year. A helpful thing that I learned in high school was to do my homework. Turning in my homework and doing it when I got it was very helpful to my grades in classes and overall grade point average. My GPA skyrocketed from usually getting C’s and B’s to getting all A’s and B’s. Freshman year was more challenging than my middle school years, and becoming more organized, furthering my hopeful and hardworking stride to not give up, and just turning in my homework one hundred percent helped me get through it all. Setting goals for myself helped immensely in not only my school life, but also my social life. Even just setting goals for the day helped get overdue work done, and helped me be caught up.

Life sometimes gets in the way of school, although I still had to push through it all to achieve my goals during high school. The most important thing I learned this year was to stay loyal to your people, and never take things for granted. Always make sure you tell someone you love him or her, because you never know when you are going to see him or her again. Trust and loyalty are the foundation of every relationship. I know now to pick valuable, trustworthy friends and stick with them. Friends are imperative to a successful high school career. A quote from Al Capone goes “Be careful who you call your friends. I’d rather have four quarters than one hundred pennies.” You really have to put in the effort to make any relationship work. Fighting and arguing over nothing does not help anything, and actually worsens things. I learned that you have to communicate and always choose kind over anything when dealing with any existing relationship or forming one. Friends, your beau, and even authority all deserve respect. ”Do right. Do your best. Treat others as you want to be treated.” –Lou Holtz

My advice to others and myself is quite straightforward. Do not put yourself down, I repeat- do not put yourself down. Life is so much better when you love yourself. Self-care is the number one tip I can tell you to achieve this. Look in the mirror, tell yourself that you are perfect, and mean it. Life is hard enough without all the negativity. Join a sport. Sports can help build friendships and strengthen others. Sports are an exceptional way to start feeling positive about yourself, because of the science behind it. Endorphins are what make you happy after exercising; therefore, when you exercise you could start feeling more confident with yourself. My last piece of advice is to love yourself the best possible way you can. Loving yourself will boost your ambition and drive towards things you love and/or need to do. Happiness is key to all successes.

Next year, I want to achieve many more of my goals. I want to keep striving forward on my path to a great career and life, with lasting friendships and relationships. I want to be content with my looks and my fails. I want to learn from all my past mistakes and become a better person. Not only for myself, but also for others. My mistakes do not make who I am, but how I take what I have learned from them and use it is. All of my goals and bucket lists would be for nothing if I did not try to become the person who I want to be. Completing goals such as traveling the world would not be possible without an education that you work for and a job that you get a paycheck from. To do fun things, and cross off items on your buck list, you have to live in the moment and work to the best of your ability. Hard work pays off, and when I reach, the point in my life where I am ready to have my bucket lists crossed off, I am going to have many adventures.

About the Writer
Madi Lancaster, Student Staffer

Madi Lancaster is a sophomore who is a second year newspaper staffer.

"I joined newspaper to write, take pictures, and to ultimately be more active...